Avodart and Impotence
There are some possible sexual side effects with Avodart, and impotence is one that occurs in up to 4.7 percent of people. Other common sexual side effects of Avodart include a decreased sex drive and a decreased ejaculation amount. Because it is difficult to know whether these problems are caused by another condition or by Avodart itself, be sure to talk to your healthcare provider if you are taking Avodart and libido decreases or you develop any other sexual side effects.
Interested in a Discount on Avodart?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
Avodart® (dutasteride) is a prescription medication that is used for the treatment of an enlarged prostate. Like all medicines, Avodart has possible side effects. Some of these side effects can affect a person's sexual well-being. In the case of Avodart, sexual side effects that have been reported include:
- A decreased sex drive (libido).
- Impotence. Impotence is usually defined as a total inability to achieve erection, an inconsistent ability to do so, or a tendency to sustain only brief erections. Ultimately, impotence is the repeated inability to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. Impotence is also known as erectile dysfunction (or ED for short).
- Abnormal ejaculation, including a decreased ejaculation amount. In general, a decreased ejaculation amount did not affect other aspects of sexual function.
Before medicines are approved, they must go through several clinical studies in which thousands of people are given a particular medicine and are then compared to a group of people not given the medicine. In these studies, side effects are always documented. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
For Avodart, the sexual side effects mentioned above occurred in the following percentage of men:
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence -- up to 4.7 percent of people
- A decreased libido (sex drive) -- up to 3 percent of people
- Abnormal ejaculation, including a decreased ejaculate amount -- up to 1.4 percent of people.