When and How to Take the MedicationSome general considerations for when and how to take Avodart include:
- It comes in capsule form and is taken by mouth once daily.
- It may take as long as 3 to 12 months of taking Avodart before results can be seen.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- Avodart capsules should be taken whole and should not be chewed or crushed.
- It should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
DosingThere is only one dose of this drug for enlarged prostate treatment -- Avodart 0.5 mg once daily.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Avodart Dosage for more information about this topic.)
Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects. However, not everyone who takes Avodart will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. When side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
The most common side effects of Avodart include:
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence (see Avodart and Impotence)
- A decreased libido (decreased sex drive)
- Decreased ejaculate amount
- Breast enlargement or breast tenderness.
(Click Avodart Side Effects to learn about the specific side effects of the drug, including serious side effects to look out for. You can also read about other possible side effects by going to: