About 9 percent of men 30 years of age and older (6.3 million men) report having been told by a physician they had BPH.
It is estimated that BPH occurs in different age groups at the following rates:
- Ages 30-54: 2.2 percent
- Ages 55-74: 19.6 percent
- Ages 75 and up: 36.3 percent.
The estimated number of hospital discharges among men who are 20 years or older with a discharge diagnosis of BPH includes:
- 402,000 discharges (2001)
- 398,000 discharges (2000).
The estimated number of doctor visits by men age 20 or older with BPH as a listed diagnosis includes:
- 6.4 million visits (2000)
- 6.0 million visits (1999).