When first starting on Flomax for an enlarged prostate, the dosage is the same for everyone -- 0.4 mg orally once daily. If you do not notice any improvement in your enlarged prostate symptoms after two to four weeks, your healthcare provider may recommend increasing your Flomax dose to 0.8 mg once daily. It is important to know that if you stop taking Flomax for even a few days, you will have to start back at the 0.4 mg dose of Flomax for at least two weeks.
Interested in a Discount on Flomax?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
An Overview of Flomax Dosing
The first dose when starting Flomax® (tamsulosin hydrochloride) is 0.4 mg by mouth once daily. If you are not seeing any improvement in your enlarged prostate symptoms after two to four weeks, your healthcare provider may suggest taking Flomax 0.8 mg (two 0.4 mg capsules) once daily. If at any time you stop taking Flomax, even for a few days, you will need to start back at the 0.4 mg dose for at least two weeks.
As with any medication, do not adjust your Flomax dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Some considerations for people taking Flomax include:
- Flomax should be taken at the same time each day, a half an hour after a meal. Choose one meal to take Flomax after each day.
- If you do not take your Flomax as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of Flomax.
- Flomax should be swallowed whole and should not be opened, crushed, or chewed.
- For Flomax to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Flomax will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Flomax or your Flomax dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Flomax without discussing it first with your healthcare provider.