An Overview of Flomax Dosing
The first dose when starting Flomax®
hydrochloride) is 0.4 mg by mouth once daily. If you are not seeing any improvement in your enlarged prostate symptoms
after two to four weeks, your healthcare provider may suggest taking Flomax 0.8 mg (two 0.4 mg capsules) once daily. If at any time you stop taking Flomax, even for a few days, you will need to start back at the 0.4 mg dose for at least two weeks.
As with any medication, do not adjust your Flomax dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
General Flomax Dosage Information
Some considerations for people taking Flomax include:
- Flomax should be taken at the same time each day, a half an hour after a meal. Choose one meal to take Flomax after each day.
- If you do not take your Flomax as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose of Flomax.
- Flomax should be swallowed whole and should not be opened, crushed, or chewed.
- For Flomax to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Flomax will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Flomax or your Flomax dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Flomax without discussing it first with your healthcare provider.