Flomax Side Effects
Although most people tolerate Flomax well, there are some potential side effects of the medication. Some of the most common Flomax side effects include abnormal ejaculation, a runny or stuffy nose, and dizziness. In many cases, side effects are minor and can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, there are several side effects of Flomax that you should report to your healthcare right away, including signs of an allergic reaction or a painful erection that will not go away.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects associated with Flomax® (tamsulosin hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes this drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Flomax well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Flomax. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Flomax side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Flomax
Flomax has been thoroughly studied in clinical trials, with thousands of people being evaluated. In these studies, side effects occurring in the group of people taking the drug are always documented and compared to the side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common Flomax side effects include:
- Abnormal ejaculation -- occurring in up to 18.1 percent of people (see Flomax Sexual Side Effects)
- Runny or stuffy nose -- in up to 17.9 percent
- Dizziness -- in up to 17.1 percent
- Infections, including the common cold or flu -- in up to 10.8 percent
- General body pain -- in up to 8.5 percent
- Back pain -- in up to 8.3 percent
- Diarrhea -- in up to 6.2 percent
- Sore throat -- in up to 5.8 percent.
There are several less common side effects of Flomax that occurred in 1 to 5 percent of people:
- Increased coughing
- Chest pain
- Upset stomach (nausea)
- Sinus infection (sinusitis)
- Decreased sex drive (libido)
- Blurred vision
- Tooth problems
- Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- Spinning sensation (vertigo).
(You can also read about other possible side effects by going to: