Prostate Home > Avodart Dosage
For the treatment of an enlarged prostate (or BPH), the Avodart dosage is 0.5 mg once daily. You have to take your Avodart dose as prescribed in order for it to work properly. Make sure never to take a double dose of Avodart, even if you miss your scheduled dose. Talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist if you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Avodart dosing in general.
An Overview of Avodart DosingThere is only one dose of Avodart® (dutasteride) for the treatment of an enlarged prostate (or BPH) -- Avodart 0.5 mg once daily.
As with any medication, do not adjust your Avodart dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
- Avodart should be taken at the same time each day.
- If you do not take your Avodart as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double the dose of Avodart.
- Your Avodart dosage can be taken with or without food. If Avodart bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Avodart should be swallowed whole and should not be crushed or chewed.
- It may take as long as 3 to 12 months before your enlarged prostate symptoms improve.
- Women who are or may be pregnant should not touch Avodart capsules (see Avodart and Pregnancy for more information).
- For Avodart to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Avodart will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Avodart or your Avodart dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Avodart without discussing it first with your healthcare provider.