Prostate Home > Does Beta-Sitosterol Work?
Beta-sitosterol is used in many dietary supplements and functional foods, but many people still wonder if beta-sitosterol works. While people take beta-sitosterol products for a variety of conditions, the only accepted medical uses of the plant sterol are for high cholesterol and an enlarged prostate. The effectiveness of beta-sitosterol for other uses has not been studied or established.
- Lowering high cholesterol
- Treating an enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH)
- Treating gallstones
- Enhancing sexual performance
- Boosting the immune system
- Treating the common cold and the flu
- Treating asthma
- Relieving menopause symptoms
- Helping with hair loss or baldness.