Prostate Home > Cardura XL Dosage
The recommended starting dosage of Cardura XL for treating an enlarged prostate is one 4-mg extended-release tablet taken once daily with breakfast. After three or four weeks, your healthcare provider can increase the amount to 8 mg once daily if necessary. Make sure to take Cardura XL with food to help with the absorption of the medication.
An Introduction to Dosing With Cardura XLThe dose of Cardura® XL (doxazosin XL) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Cardura XL Dosage for an Enlarged ProstateThe recommended starting Cardura XL dose is 4 mg once daily with breakfast. If necessary, after three to four weeks, your healthcare provider may increase the amount up to 8 mg once daily with breakfast. If you are switching from immediate-release doxazosin (regular Cardura), the starting dosage is still 4 mg once daily, regardless of what strength of immediate-release doxazosin you were taking.
If you are taking the maximum dosage (8 mg daily) and you stop taking Cardura XL for several days, you will need to restart back at the starting dose (4 mg once daily).
General Information on Taking Cardura XLSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Cardura XL include the following:
- Cardura XL comes in the form of an extended-release tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once a day with breakfast.
- Make sure to take this medication with food. Taking it on an empty stomach results in less of the medication being absorbed.
- Make sure to swallow the tablets whole. Do not cut, break, chew, or crush them.
- The shell of the extended-release tablet does not fully dissolve. It is normal to see the tablet shell in your stool.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Cardura XL, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.