Prostate Home > Cardura XL Uses
How Does Cardura XL Work?Cardura XL belongs to a class of drugs known as alpha blockers. In particular, it works by blocking alpha-1 receptors. Alpha-1 receptors are found in several places of the body, including the prostate gland.
When used for the treatment of BPH, alpha-1 blockers help to relax the muscles of the prostate and the bladder neck (where urine leaves the bladder). Cardura XL does not shrink the prostate, as some other BPH medications do. However, by relaxing the muscles of the prostate and bladder, Cardura XL helps to quickly relieve BPH symptoms. Although this medication can treat the symptoms, it is not a cure for BPH.
Is It Safe for Children or Teens?The use of Cardura XL has not been approved for children or teens (this makes sense, as BPH is a condition that typically occurs in older men).
Are There Off-Label Uses for Cardura XL?On occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend this medication for something other than BPH. This is known as an "off-label" use. Sometimes, medications like Cardura XL are used off-label for the following uses:
- Treating high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Improving sexual function in men with BPH
- Treating premature ejaculation
- Treating urinary retention (difficulty emptying the bladder) in women
- Treating urinary problems associated with multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Helping to pass ureter stones (also known as bladder stones), which are kidney stones that have passed into the ureter (one of the tubes from the kidneys to the bladder).