Prostate Home > Flomax
When and How to Take FlomaxGeneral considerations for when and how to take Flomax include the following:
- Flomax comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth once daily, 30 minutes after a meal.
- The capsules should be taken whole and should not be opened, chewed, or crushed.
- The medication should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For Flomax to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationWhen first starting Flomax (or if you have been off the drug for several days), the dose is 0.4 mg once daily. If the medication does not seem to be working after two to four weeks at this dose, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to 0.8 mg once daily.
Side Effects of FlomaxAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Flomax. However, not everyone who takes it will experience side effects. In fact, most men tolerate the drug well. If side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Abnormal ejaculation (see Flomax Sexual Side Effects)
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Infections, including the cold or flu.