The only Proscar dosage available for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia is 5 mg, taken once daily. With some patients, it may take up to six months before their enlarged prostate symptoms improve. To maintain an even level of medicine in the blood, be sure to take your Proscar dosage at the same time each day.
Interested in a Discount on Proscar?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
There is only one dose of Proscar® (finasteride) available for BPH treatment -- Proscar 5 mg once daily.
As with any medication, do not adjust your Proscar dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Some considerations for people taking Proscar include:
- Proscar should be taken at the same time each day.
- If you do not take your Proscar as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take double the dose of Proscar.
- Your Proscar dosage can be taken with or without food. If Proscar bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- It may take as long as six months before your enlarged prostate symptoms improve.
- Women who are or may be pregnant should not touch broken or crushed Proscar tablets (see Proscar and Pregnancy for more information).
- For Proscar to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Proscar will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Proscar or your Proscar dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Proscar without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.